|This fabric hanger cover provides plenty of pockets to store accessories.|
Mother's Day is this coming Sunday, May 11. If you're looking for a project to sew for a special mother in your life - whether your mom, sister, daughter, aunt or friend - we have a great idea to share. This pretty cover designed by Rosina Cassam for our sister magazine Stitch Craft Create's gift edition transforms an ordinary clothes hanger into a practical storage unit. It takes no time at all to make, and it's a perfect present for ladies of all ages who can use it to keep all their favorite fashion accessories at hand.
What you need:
• Patterned fabric
• Plain fabric
• Coordinating thread
• Wire hanger
• Sewing machine
How to create:
NOTE: Seam allowances are 3/8 inch.
1. To make hanger cover pattern, trace around top of wire hanger and lengthen bottom line to about 12 inches. Add a 3/8-inch seam allowance around perimeter. To make pocket pattern, fold over top part of hanger cover pattern and use lower part only (about 8 inches deep).
2. From patterned fabric, cut two main hanger cover pieces and one pocket piece.
3. From plain fabric, use main hanger cover pattern to cut two lining pieces and one pocket piece.
4. Place pocket pieces right sides together and sew along top edge. Turn through to right side and press flat.
5. Place one of main hanger cover pieces right side up on your work surface and lay pocket on top with lining facing down, aligning raw edges along bottom edge. Sew along pocket sides and bottom edge.
6. Measure 5 inches in from sides to mark pocket divisions and machine stitch to make three pockets.
7. Place hanger cover lining on top of pocket with front right sides facing, and machine sew along bottom edge only. Press; fold open along seam edge and press. Repeat with remaining fabric pieces to make hanger cover back.
8. Pin linings to hanger cover pieces and sew around top edges.
9. Place lined back and front together, right sides facing, and sew along top edge, leaving a 2-inch gap. Turn right side out and press flat along seams.
10. Insert hanger through gap.
Shop the Mother's Day Sale in our Martha Pullen Online Store for more great gift ideas!
Sew On, Sew Well, Sew Beautiful,
Cyndi and Amelia